Many companies are seeking new strategies to increase revenue — public relations can be an important tool to use, but there are some common mistakes that companies make related to PR. A public relations firm can help ensure that you are on the right track.
Here are a few suggestions from a recent blog posted on VentureBeat for common public relations missteps to avoid:
- Goals with no strategy. Without a strategy, you’re going to have a hard time getting things done. Take the time to discuss with your PR team what you’re looking to accomplish, and focus on the steps to take in order to accomplish each goal.
- Only having one spokesperson. While a CEO is typically a great person to utilize as a spokesperson, they are not always available or the best person to use depending on the story. It’s important to have a more than one person ready to speak with reporters, when needed.
- Relying on inexperienced people to run your public relations campaign. Public relations works to build your brand, and the responsibility should fall into the hands of professionals with training. While every team member in an office is important, your brand’s reputation is most important for everyone’s well-being.
- Having public relations separate from the rest of the business. It’s important to integrate public relations into all levels of your company. Be sure to keep your PR team apprised of angles that could be used for news stories, including changes in upper management, trends, new hires, rebranding or events.
- Giving up too soon. Successful public relations is more of a marathon than a sprint. It takes a lot of work, time and investment to create a steady presence in the media. You will have great months, and not so great months, but it’s important to stay positive. Remember, it’s not about that one big story but rather all of the big and small stories over time.
Whether you have an internal public relations team or an agency, effective public relations should help your business thrive by telling your story to the right audiences. Avoiding these common mistakes will help you reach these important goals.
Account Associate, Elizabeth Christian Public Relations