Whether it’s running to a meeting, conducting an interview, or planning an event, there’s no denying that PR professionals lead very busy lives. Such bustling lifestyles can take a toll on one’s overall health, which is why it’s so important that ECPR takes steps to ensure our office staff is happy and healthy. It’s not just about what we do day-to-day to keep our employees in tip-top shape, prevention and preparation in the event of an emergency are also imperative for workplace safety. After all, PR professionals always like to be prepared for any situation!
Here are a few of the ways that ECPR promotes safety and wellness in the workplace:
- CPR Safety – ECPR coordinated a visit from Director Lindsay Ketchum’s husband and firefighter, Brett Ketchum, to provide a course on hands-only CPR during one of our staff meetings. For those who aren’t aware, CPR has changed quite a bit over the past few years and this provided a much-needed update to our understanding of safety in the workplace.
- Fire Safety – Our downtown office has a yearly fire drill that all of our employees participate in. Serving as the fire warden for our tenant suite and floor, I am responsible for initiating the emergency action plan and ensuring everyone exits the building safely in the event of an emergency. Establishing a plan for your workplace is crucial for everyone’s safety.
- Flu Shots – To make it convenient for our staff, each year we bring in a nurse who administers flu shots for staff members who opt in. This saves time and promotes a healthy work environment as we enter into flu season.
- Healthy Snacks – Keeping a stock of health-conscious snacks around the office limits trips to the vending machines and nearby convenience stores. Providing healthy options advocates smart eating decisions and can improve performance in the workplace.
- Exercise – If time permits, many of our employees use their lunch hour as an opportunity to exercise. Some staffers have a nearby gym membership, while others choose to walk the stairs of our fifteen-story building. In addition to improving physical stamina, these quick, midday cardio-boosts can also keep staffers focused when assisting clients.
For years, Austin has been regularly dubbed as one of the healthiest and fittest cities in America. Due to their dedication to workplace safety and employee health, Austin workplaces like ECPR prove this title is well deserved. Workplaces play a huge role in both keeping Austin healthy and, as a result, help continue to make Austin such a great place to work. With the New Year just around the corner, now is the time to establish new initiatives within your business to promote a healthy and safe work environment.
Executive Administrative Assistant, Elizabeth Christian Public Relations